Sunday, December 8, 2013

Global Warming





Global warming is a topic that has been floating around in the media for a few years now and is still just as controversial as the day it was conceived. This conspiracy states that the evidence that supports the allegations of global warming have been severely distorted or invented in the hopes of aiding certain unknown political or ideological reasons. The accusers have stated various reasons as to why global warming was invented. These range from trying to achieve a single government for the world to promoting nuclear power. Global warming doesn’t seem like it could be the cause of a global government because global warming should have nothing to do with politics. Global warming is about the earth’s climate and how it is changing and so I can’t even imagine how it could lead to a global government. Another accusation is that global warming was created to increase funding for climate sciences. Whether or not global warming exists or not I think that these researchers would receive more funding anyway because of the increasingly powerful storms that keep arising. 

Typhoon Haiyan superimposed over North America.
Just look to Typhoon Haiyan, an incredibly powerful storm that struck the coast of the Philippines. With more and more powerful storms like Haiyan I would suspect that more funding would follow to find out how to minimize casualties. I have even noticed that the weather isn’t the same as it used to be in the past. My grandmother would tell me stories of how the Detroit River would freeze over so thick that a car could drive on the ice. My parents would tell stories of how much snow they got when they were kids. Through my childhood there have been less and less snowfalls to the point where there is usually a light dusting of snow on the streets.

Average snowfall in my region.
This is not normal in my opinion and can only be associated with global warming. I think people are just afraid of facing the truth and would pretend like nothing is wrong instead of solving the problem. They say ignorance is bliss and those who believe global warming is a myth seem to follow these lines. I see it the same way as when Cornelius Fudge refused to believe that Voldemort had returned. Fudge launched many efforts to show how bad Harry and Dumbledore were to hide the truth that he so adamantly denied. Global warming is not a conspiracy theory in my eyes. It is a serious problem that needs to be addressed and cannot be ignored.

Sources: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_warming_conspiracy_theory

2 comments:

  1. Honestly with this cold wether, I could beg to differ that global wether is happening! It has not been this cold in Windsor in forever! However, I do know this past year had the worst catastrophic events continuously since long ago. So maybe global warming has something to do with that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never really took global warning seriously because I thought it was just something scientists said to scare us so we would stop polluting. However, I notice more and more the changes in the weather, not just where I live, but around the world. You are right. We should stop ignoring it and put a stop to this. Also, I really enjoyed your Harry Potter reference.

    ReplyDelete